No.2 was built by Baldwin of Philadelphia, USA in 1930, (No. 61269) for the Eastern Province Cement Co. Port Elizabeth, South Africa where it spent all its working life hauling limestone. In 1973 it ran away driverless de-railed and was wrecked. It was treated as an accident write-off by the South African insurers and was purchased by us as salvage. Shipped back to the UK as deck cargo to Liverpool, rebuilt here between 1993 and 1997 this 4-6-2 tender locomotive weighs 47 tons and is capable of hauling the heaviest trains to Torpantau.
Baldwin works photograph
Baldwin wrecked in South Africa
The Baldwin running round at Pontsticill